About the Foundation
The Social Development Foundation was established in 2003 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization for the sole purpose of providing financial support for the programs and initiatives of the Community Relations – Social Development Commission (SDC). The mission of the Social Development Foundation is to generate awareness, identify resources, and secure support to advance the efforts of the Social Development Commission.
For over 50 years, the Social Development Commission (SDC) has served as a planner, coordinator, and provider of human service programs for low-income individuals and families in Milwaukee County. In 1963, the SDC was established as an intergovernmental Public Commission under Wisconsin State Statute SS66.433 and in 1964, the SDC became the Community Action Agency for Milwaukee County. The SDC serves the most vulnerable populations, giving them a voice, inspiring hope, and helping them to achieve stability by providing pathways from poverty to success.
To accomplish our mission, we believe that we must be responsive to the needs of everyone in Milwaukee County who may need the services of the SDC. We will support the programs and initiatives of SDC by securing the resources to ensure SDC remains a strong resource for the community. We support the following program areas:
- Business Services
- Basic skills and job-readiness instruction to help adults prepare for educational and career advancement
- Adult Education, providing education and training in GED/HSED preparation and testing
- Asset-building strategies consisting of free tax assistance, financial education, and health care/social service program enrollment
- Outreach to households requiring moderate electrical, plumbing, carpentry, or minor home rehabilitations
- Energy conservation education and weatherization services
- Engagement of residents in community programs and activities including health and job fairs, back-to-school events,
Summit on Poverty and other family-building projects
- In-home elderly companion visitation, respite, transportation, and outreach services for older adults
- Free nutritious meals to children experiencing hunger insecurity
- Leadership training, drug and alcohol abuse prevention and education, community service options/restorative justice, awareness-raising forums, educational tutoring, mental health counseling, and recreational opportunities for youth
The foundation’s vision is to enhance services and broaden awareness of SDC’s mission in the community: Empowering Milwaukee County residents with the resources to move beyond poverty. Our vision of enhancing services and broadening SDC’s awareness in the community are supported by our values of relationship building, advocacy, communication, community leadership, and being ambassadors for the SDC.
Board of Directors
The Social Development Foundation Board of Directors is a diverse group united by a desire to identify and mobilize resources that help Milwaukee County families move out of poverty. Board directors volunteer countless hours and leverage the group’s collective power to support initiatives that empower people.
Each director is respected in the community, accomplished, and brings a strong set of professional skills to the role. The foundation board is a robust team that operates with integrity, competence and commitment. Directors trust and challenge each other as they address critical issues in the foundation’s areas of focus. The board ensures that the goals and objectives of the foundation are implemented and achieved.